Please contact our Membership Chair with questions about Hawthorne Family Playschool and to schedule a tour.
Access a Digital Application
About Our School:
HFP enrolls students ages 3-5. Our school day is from 9 a.m. – Noon. This includes a family style snack, provided by families.
• Three-year-olds typically attend two days a week (M/W or T/Th).
• Four and Five-year-olds attend three days a week (3rd day on Friday).
• Families have the option of extending one morning a week to 4-hours by enrolling in the fabulous Yoga Enrichment Class that Leslie at Yoga Playgrounds offers on Mondays and Tuesdays from Noon – 1 p.m.
• Because children develop at different ages, we do not require toilet training.
• Our class size is 14 students (with three adults present). Children are typically age 3 by September 1. We maintain a year-round waiting list.
HFP is pleased to offer a sliding fee scale. In an effort to keep tuition affordable, we also fundraise as an additional source of income. Below are rates for the 2018-19 school year. We offer the following sliding fee scale based on each family’s annual household income. Our goal with the sliding scale is to balance:
- Cost of an outstanding preschool education
- Affordability for families
- Equity for teachers (fairer compensation)
|2-Day Class Monthly Tuition|
|$20,000 – $35,000||$182|
|$35,001 – $55,000||$207|
|3-Day Class Monthly Tuition|
|$20,000 – $35,000||$267|
|$35,001 – $55,000||$304|
|HFP tuition is based on Multnomah County income guidelines. More information available upon request. Rates subject to increase
3-6% annually every September based on Board approval.
Download the HFP Tuition Assistance Request Form
Our Opt Out Program:
In an effort to increase program flexibility and accommodate a range of families’ needs, HFP offers the choice of “opting out” of the majority of scheduled parent helper shifts for an additional monthly fee. The additional fee covers the cost of hiring a teacher’s assistant to cover those shifts for a given quarter. The additional fee is currently $98/month for 2 day/week and $132 for 3 day/week.
For Enrollment Information:
Contact Stephanie, Membership Chair.
About Our Selection Process:
As a unique, parent-driven cooperative school, HFP relies heavily on our families to eagerly and fully participate in our community. When we review applications, we consider families’ interests, talents, and skills as well as their enthusiasm for our program. We encourage families to share about themselves on the application.
If you have a particular interest or skill that you’re willing to contribute, please tell us about it. Families are responsible for assisting in the classroom as well as holding an essential job in running our school. In partnership with our director/teacher, we create a thriving learning community.